Social media, once considered by some businesses as a flash-in-the-pan phenomenon, has firmly established itself as a media juggernaut. Pew Research Center found that 74 percent of online adults use social networking sites. It can be challenging for businesses to create an online following, but social media contests and promotions, if well-executed, are almost always a sure-fire way to increase engagement and brand recognition.
For decades, brands have used sweepstakes and contests as an integral part of their business marketing plans. Social media platforms have taken those same contests and magnified their effectiveness. Thanks to the interconnected nature of the internet, and the ease of sharing, news travels at lightning speed. Using social media promotions, you can enhance your brand’s reputation, your customer base, and increase revenue.
People Trust Their Social Networks
Social media use continues to grow year over year. Additionally, people trust what they see from their connections on social media. Let’s take a look at some notable statistics from Social Times:
- Three-fourths of consumers rely on social media to influence purchasing decisions.
- When making a purchasing decision eight out of 10 people are influenced by friends’ posts.
- 71 percent of consumers who receive a quick response from a brand will refer that brand to friends and family.
- Social sharing buttons in emails increase of click-through rate by almost 160 percent.
So, we’ve established that people use their social networks to make purchasing decisions and interact with brands, but what about contest specific information? Consider the following contest-specific statistics from HubSpot:
- Seven out of 10 users on social media have played a game.
- Users spend an average of 2 minutes 30 seconds on contest apps. By comparison, more than half of visitors to your website will spend less than 15 seconds.
- One-third of entrants opt-in to receiving email communication from the brand holding the contest.
The Importance of Professionalism and Personality
When it comes to social media, it’s all too easy to under or oversell. Too few social updates lead to a lack of response, while too many could cause people to unfollow, unfriend, or block your business page. Consumers want brands to be personable in lieu of “salesy,” but this can be a difficult balance to strike, because at the end of the day, your job is to promote the brand. Users respond well to engaging content, but what your customers find engaging might differ greatly from that of another company’s customer base. Working with a team of experienced digital marketing professionals that have executed hundreds of social media contests can help ensure you find the perfect balance of personality and effective promotion.
Why Choose SLANT Marketing to Run Your Social Media Contests
At SLANT, we know what it takes to create successful social media contests on just about every available platform, but especially on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. We’ll help you determine the best time to hold contests, which type of promotions will best meet your specific goals, and how to best incorporate them into your existing social media strategy.
We’re experts at designing beautiful social media contests that stand out and drive results. Ready to become another one of our success stories? Reach out to us today to see what amazing things we can achieve together.